This week I worked from home- and was thinking about how much I value being able to be in control of what I do and when I do it.
I work in an environment where the standard hours are quite low (7 hours and 21 minutes to be exact) but I work really hard and I would rarely escape without working a 9-10 hour day (in the office and then I’ll usually log in from home). I don’t mind doing this at all- I love what I do, but without this flexibility I don’t think I would be as inclined to put in that many hours. I’m also lucky that I can choose the hours I work as long as I am there between the hours of 10am-4pm.
Don’t get me wrong, I really like the people I work with and am happy to be there but I adore working from home every now and again. Why?
• Because it cuts down on my travel time by about two hours a day
• I can get up and start working (I’m a morning person so this is when my brain kicks into gear- don’t ask me anything important after 5pm!)
• I can wear my pyjamas all day (yes those are the PJ’s I get around in) and be comfortable. I don’t have to worry about make-up, hair or ironing. I know that sounds a bit lame but for women, lookin this good doesn’t happen naturally!
• I can still access everything I can at work and attend webinars, online meetings and teleconference calls.
• It allows me to work in an environment that I am comfortable in
• I can play my music as loud as I want
• I can have some alone time to really concentrate on writing strategy or presentations
• I work much harder from home because I have more time, I’m comfortable and I can control the interruptions.
• I can sleep in a little bit or catch up on a bit of sleep which I find is a necessity if you’ve been killing yourself on the other days of the week
• I feel really valued by my employer and particularly my Manager because I know that they trust me and believe that I am performing well.
Actually I’m sure I wrote a paper on this in my first year of uni so I’ll try and dig it out.
Are you allowed to work from home? Do you feel guilty about working from home? What’s the best thing about working from home for you?